Updated: Jul 14
You just signed up for your first boudoir session so, now what?
This may be completely out of your comfort zone and something you never thought you'd do. But don't worry - boudoirs are a beautiful, super empowering, and a little addicting!
Boudoir is for every human. Our studio is LGBTQ+ friendly and we photograph all bodies. This prep guide should help answer any questions you may have, but if you find yourself with special requests, just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best things to do about a week or two before a shoot is to remove alcoholic drinks, replace with a lot of water, stretch daily, and of course, shop!
Water and stretching are very important! Many of my poses use muscles you would not normally use, so you want to make sure you are flexible and ready to pose!! You may be sore the day after the shoot and this is totally normal, just keep drinking water and you'll feel so much better.
First, Outfit ideas!
I offer a client closet filled with over 300 beautiful items. I have body suits, lace featured sets, body chains, leather items and so many other accessories! Please bring a seamless skin colored and black thong if you wish to wear anything from my closet. Everything is washed before every shoot and sanitized, your thong is just extra protection. ( I also offer panty liners if a sheer piece is chosen that requires more invisible protection)
If you show up completely empty handed OR with 100 things because you panic packed... Don't stress. You arriving is all we need to make magic.
I typically suggest bringing an outfit or two incase you don't want to wear something from my studio closet and we work together to narrow them down to the best options.
Ask yourself these questions when picking outfits...
What makes me feel most like myself? Is this me or am I trying to be some one else?
When I look at the photo's later I want to feel ____________. (insert : Sexy, feminine, masculine, submissive, dominant, sporty, comfortable, OR like my alter ego took over and I am a bad betch.)
Will I trust myself to let go and be comfortable wearing this?
What you should bring...
1. An outfit you know you love that is a safe option. This could be your favorite lingerie, a significant others over sized shirt, a soft silk dress, or simply your favorite sweater with thigh high fuzzy socks. The best thing about boudoir photography, is that you can make it your own! Lounge and Calvin Kleins are my favorites for those who want to be the Relaxed and Sporty kind of sexy, Honey Birdette, Adore me, and Playful promises offer many true to size options that fit amazing.
2. Something on the sexier side to reach your inner diva - I personally LOVE three piece sets or bodysuits! This is a great way to be covered up but also super figure flattering and sexy! It works great in most poses because it's form fitted to your back, bust, and tush! If you're the sporty or more masculine vibe, white tanks getting wet or ripped up with undies or grey sweats is always sexy.
3. Think out of the box. Strive to embrace your body. (braless in a crop top with fishnets, leather straps, jean shorts and topless, or even your birthday suit!)
Most importantly, be true to yourself.
Oh my goodness! The shoot is almost here!
1) Get your nails done or clean them up. Though it may seem silly, chipped nails or dry nail beds can be distracting in a photo. Clean those babies up and keep it neutral. Stay away from yellow/green nail polishes. These can sometimes photograph "dirty" or distracting.
2) At least two days before, wax whatever you need to. Whether it be your eyesbrows or down below. Keep it clean and give it a day to settle so we don't have any redness or burns. If you don't typically wax or shave, that's totally okay! Be true to YOU! Hair is normal, BUMPS are normal, ingrown hairs and red spots are normal. We will photoshop anything that isn't permanent on your body and make you feel your best.
3) Moisturize and hydrate! Lotion gives your skin a simple glow and keeps it looking soft and fresh. This will also help with acne, dry skin and will clear up any blemishes. Makeup is easier to apply when the skin is fresh, clean, and moisturized!
4) Lastly, do NOT spray tan or use tanning lotions of any kind before your session!! I can not stress this enough! These can create orange stripes or discoloration to your hands and feet. It is not pretty! It's okay to have soft porcelain skin, and with the moody lighting my studio offers, sometimes it actually gives you a warmer glow.
*If photoshop is needed to remove spray tans or spray tan lines it WILL result in an additional editing fee of $500 since this will be handed off to a professional retoucher to fix your skin*
Oh My! It's the day of the shoot!
Hair and makeup is the fun part! I like to include hair & makeup in all of my packages and ask you show up with loose fitting clothes to ensure your have no tight red lines on your skin. I want my clients to feel fully pampered once they enter my studio so there isn't much you need to bring!
1. Come with a clean, makeup free, hydrated face. My makeup artists are AMAZING and work with every tone, color, age, or texture skin. If you have any questions, concerns or limitations with makeup, let us know before the shoot. My staff is amazing and trained for everything. If you have any questions about makeup, reach out to me and I can put you in contact with your scheduled artist for your day.
2. Come with DRY hair. I use a few different styling wands, straighteners, or combs to style your hair. Hair must be dry if you would like it heat styled by me. You will not have the option for wet blow outs. Hair is best styled when its washed the day before and has a little "dirty texture" to it. Greasy hair or oily hair is best washed in the morning and air dried before your session.
3. Natural or Curly Hair! No problem! I personally have natural curly hair and I suggest you come to your session with it ready to go and styled how you like it. I do have some curly products in the studio and anti frizz sprays to help any curls behave and get back into place as well as tiny curling wands to add some more curls in. We love curls to be true to themselves and wear it proud.
4. Wigs or Hair extensions. Bring it if you're comfortable applying them yourself! We are not a full salon in the studio so we do not have all the supplies needed. We can help lay edges or style the hair as needed or even help clip them in for you. You can contact me before your session with any questions you may have!
5. Manscaping. Yes we even offer mens touch ups. When you need a little makeup like eyebrows filled in, beards darkened, or under eyes retouched. We got you. Often times we get requests for men to look natural other times we get men who want full glam. We are here to make your vision come to life and make you feel seen for who you are. If you're looking for something special, let us know before hand.
I don’t expect you to know what you are doing in front of the camera, so leave that up to me! I will pose, guide, and direct you constantly, making sure that you look absolutely amazing. I may even roll around on the floor and show poses to you, so you know exactly how to do it! In order to stay looking beautiful remember just stay relaxed. I love to capture genuine laughs and catch your natural beauty. I always have music playing while I photograph. Get ready to share some laughs while I dance behind my camera and capture your genuine smile. Sometimes the sexiest part of us is our smile, so do NOT be afraid to giggle and have fun!
I want you to be yourself. I want to show you how I view you. I want to make you realize how worthy you are and help you love yourself without apology.
"That was so fun! I don't ever want to leave!"
We are done! The shoot was amazing. We slow down, have a mini chat, and I send you off to eat some lunch.
I typically need about 45 minutes to an hour to go through your images and prep them for your reveal!
The reveal happens the same day as the shoot. Yup! We break for a quick lunch or coffee and meet back in the studio to see all the magical photos we captured.
We will watch a slideshow, pick out your favorite images, and build your album and other products! We will relax in the studio with calmer music and soak in all the gorgeousness.
We sometimes talk about our feelings and how we connect with the images. I help however I can to truly make this experience life changing for you.
This will be the last time to view all the images so make sure you're vocal about everything you want! I only hold digitals for 3-6 months after your session. This is why finalizing products is so important for the day of your session.
Now you get to go home, take a deep breath and just love on yourself. I'll make any extra adjustments to the products/photo's and place the order!
I ship all my products to you after they've been fully inspected. This process takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks. If you're in a rush or have a specific date you need your gifts by, just let me know before your session.
Rushes are available on some products!
Still have questions? Email me at email@example.com.
I'm here for whatever you need.
I can't wait to see you.
Hannah & Co.